Saturday, August 2, 2008

Review: The Turnaround



The Turnaround by George Pelecanos

I read an ARC of this a few weeks ago and, while I couldn't put it down, I couldn't explain why I was so disappointed at the end. I am a huge, unabashed, Pelecanos fan. Almost to the point of being obnoxious about it......although some may say I passed that point a long time ago. But this one left me a little cold. I couldn't figure it out, but I chalked it up to everyone has a book that isn't as stellar as all the others.

I never considered that the problem with the book could be ME instead of the book. I think that is what happened this time. The book wasn't what I had expected. Pelecanos has moved on, but I was still in the same place, expecting the same thing he's done in the past.

So far, the reviews of the book have been good. NYT liked it. Washington Post liked it. The Sun-Times liked it too. It probably deserves a little more consideration from me, too.

0 comments: