Monday, September 29, 2008

Review: Out of Control

Out of Control (Troubleshooters Series, Book #4) Out of Control by Suzanne Brockmann


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Reading this book, out of order, may have saved my life! I'm not sure I would have survived it otherwise. If you're a Sam/Alyssa fan, and you read this book in real time, you have my utmost admiration. You're a tougher person than I am.



The Savannah/Karmody storyline was awesome and I'm glad I went back and read this entry in the series. It explains a lot, and you can see Brockmann's progression as an author. Not only are her storylines layered, but her characters are really, REALLY outstanding. Authors in any genre, who are interested in making characters that are multi-layered and memorable, would really learn a thing or two from her books. She doesn't have shallow characters. Even the characters that are SUPPOSED to be shallow have an underlying depths.



Anyway, this book really had three *main* storylines, two of which come back in later books. In addition to that, it has one or two *sub* stories that also find their way into other books. If you think Brockmann is simply a romance author without real writing chops, or if you think romance is a genre that can't sustain detailed, nuanced stories and/or depth, you are seriously mistaken.



And this wasn't even her BEST of the series.


View all my reviews.

0 comments: