Thursday, January 15, 2009

Review: Betrayed

Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) Betrayed by P.C. Cast


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
The good news is that I'm still interested. I like the characters. I'm curious about what is going to happen in the next installment and I find the storylines interesting. The bad news is I feel like there is very little structure to this book. There are some kids, plopped down into a school in Oklahoma, and off we go! At the same time, I understand that you don't want to slow a story down by explaining a backlog of stuff to readers. World building is tedious, I get that. But, sometimes, you just gotta. World building sometimes takes away the mystery. But, sometimes, you just gotta. I need to know WHY there is this entire underground world of people who are dead, but not. I need to know HOW this entire society exists apart from regular society. I need to know the rules of the vamp game in this particular book because, as you know, it seems to change from author to author.



The other thing that began to get a little tiresome in this book was the style. There isn't anything wrong with it, per se, but there was a bit too much repetition. We get that Damian is gay and still very cool. We get that Eric and Shaunee and like twins, but different colors. We get that Aphrodite is a bitch, but is also more than we anticipated. And we get it over and over again. It's a personal style choice, so it may not bother you at all. And, even though it bothers me, it doesn't bother me enough to stop reading the books. A solid entry. I would have given it 3.5 stars if I could, but I rounded up.


View all my reviews.

0 comments: