Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Review: Lord Demon's Delight

Lord Demon's Delight Lord Demon's Delight by Gia Dawn


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I expected to hate this book. I can't remember where I even heard of it. Was it on Twitter? A blog? Samhain's webpage? Can't recall. But, I expected to hate it. The cover did not help. I thought it would at least be good for some laughs, right? Turns out, it was pretty darn good!



It started out with a terrorist fistbump to William Shakespeare's Macbeth. The whole witches watching, plotting and scheming. Elitist though it may be, literary reference made me more curious and interested in the book. It got my attention. And, not only that, but the witches were funny. They had personality, AND got the story going.



The voyeuristic aspects of the story were also interesting. Some people may find it creepy, I didn't. I liked how Dawn made sure to always let the reader know the couple being spied on were fully aware they were being watched. She didn't hit you over the head with it, but it did make the whole thing less stalkerific.



Hero and Heroine were both well developed, and the secondary characters were rounded as well. The plumbing of the book (grammar, sentence structure, spelling) was also very good. It seems almost shameful that it needs to be mentioned, but there are some really badly edited books out there!



Which leaves the plot. There were some holes. Tne end of the book was rushed. Not so much the romance between H/H, but the backstory. Jessaline's father was a son of a bitch, we got that. Why did it take him so long to get to her for confrontation? He knew where she was. If he was waiting so long to set up things with the King, he didn't do such a hot job. And if he's so good at machinations, why did it all end so badly? It seemed a bit glossed over towards the end. I understand that wasn't the "real" story, but I wanted to know details! Dawn had done a good bit of world building and that's why I wanted to know more.



All in all, it was a good book. I don't think romance fans will be disappointed.


View all my reviews.

0 comments: