Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Review: Hot Target

Hot Target (Troubleshooters Series, Book #8) Hot Target by Suzanne Brockmann


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book would have been a solid "three stars" if not for Jules Cassidy.



That said, it wasn't a bad book, not really. But, it was definitely disappointing after Flashpoint. Readers who were coming at the series as it was written would probably have been happy to see the series regulars they had come to know. I can sympathize with that, certainly. But, everything in Flashpoint was so engaging, and this book lacked that.....except for Jules Cassidy.



I liked Cosmo, of course. I thought he was fantastic. Most people who know me won't be surprised by that. Jane was all right. I wasn't bowled over by her, but I also didn't want to bash her with a sharp rock. She was okay. Robin/Adam/Jules triangle was the most interesting part of this story, and it doesn't end the way you expect. Of course it doesn't. Brockmann is the master of the long and drawn out. Ten years from now, maybe there will be a resolution!



The big bad in this book turns out to be a group called Freedom Network. I wasn't impressed by them, and the way it was written seemed a little too "Lifetime Movie of the Week" for me to be excited about it. It could be that she was just sowing the seeds for further books, and looking for a semi reasonable plot to get Cosmo and Jane together. Great. I can appreciate that. And the fact that she is Suzanne Brockmann means that the characters can carry a book when the plot sucks is a bit disappointing.



It wasn't her best book, that's all I'm saying. But, on the other hand, it was a book you can NOT miss, if you're in this series. Too much happens, including a truly heartbreaking development, for it to be passed over.


View all my reviews.

0 comments: